Montreal Diocesan Theological College (widely known simply as “Dio”) seeks to appoint a Director of Pastoral Studies for an initial term of two years with the possibility of renewal.
Dio is a theological college rooted in the Anglican tradition. We work closely with the School of Religious Studies at McGill University and with our ecumenical partners in the Montreal School of Theology to offer a variety of academic programs that prepare women and men for faithful and creative lay and ordained ministry in the church and the world. The student body presently consists of women and men from Anglican, Lutheran, and other denominational backgrounds and from Canada, the United States, and several other countries.
The Director of Pastoral Studies is a vital member of the community. The key responsibilities of the position include:
- Teaching courses to students in line with her/his areas of expertise, with a particular focus on subjects related to the ministry and mission of the church.
- Holding oversight of the final year of the Master of Divinity program (“The In Ministry Year”) in conjunction with other Directors of Pastoral Studies in the Montreal School of Theology.
- Creating, preparing, and delivering non-credit education programs to non-traditional students in a variety of formats, including online.
- Arranging and overseeing field placements for students.
- Assisting students in theological and vocational reflection, and personal and spiritual growth.
- Overseeing the college’s distance education Reading and Tutorial program.
- Taking a key role in student recruitment, admission, and monitoring of degree progress.
- Participating in and leading worship in the college chapel.
- Taking a full role in the life of the college community, including deputizing for principal as needed.
A complete job description is available on request.
The college is a looking for a person who:
- Has an earned doctorate (Ph.D., Th.D., D.Min., or equivalent) in a field of study related to our work.
- Has experience teaching, particularly of adult and mature students, and/or in the field of theological education.
- Has experience of the life and ministry of the church in a variety of contexts.
- Can be a pastoral, supportive, challenging, and energizing presence in our community.
In addition, it is desirable that the person:
- Have an additional graduate degree in theology, such as a M.Div., MTS, or equivalent from a theological college.
- Be ordained in an Anglican church or in a church in full communion with the Anglican Church of Canada.
- Be able to teach in the field of Anglican studies.
- Have the capacity to function in the French language.
This is a full-time position and some evening and weekend work is expected. Compensation has historically been based on the clergy pay scale of the Diocese of Montreal.
The position is open from 1 August 2019, with the possibility for earlier work to overlap with the existing post-holder, who is returning to parish ministry. The appointment is understood to be for an initial period of two years with the possibility of renewal. For a suitable candidate, a shorter period of appointment or an appointment at less than full time may be considered.
A complete application includes a cover letter, CV, and the names and contact details of three references, at least one of whom can speak to the applicant’s teaching and academic background and one of whom can speak to the applicant’s ecclesial experience. A review of applications will begin on 6 March 2019 and continue until the position is filled. Applications may be e-mailed to email@example.com or sent via postal mail to 3475 University, Montreal, QC H3A 2A8.
The successful candidate must be legally authorized to work in Canada or eligible for a work permit or work permit exemption.
For more information or an informal conversation about the position, please contact the Rev. Dr. Jesse Zink, principal of the college, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 514.849.3004 x222.